Milestone: New Site is Live
One thing I learned after reading through all my old blog posts is that I very rarely mention when I actually improve various things around the site. The crazy part is, I change my website really bloody frequently, so I'm basically losing a huge chunk of history by being lazy.
(there was one version of the site from ~2010 where everything was in 3D-ish cards on a long timestream that went diagonally, I think, and that was 50 kinds of awesome, but I have no evidence it ever existed)
Today I shall attempt to rectify that situation. Here, then are the new features of the modern version of mcm.1889.ca...
- It's running on NextJS (Nuxt was a close second, but I invested too much into the menu to port it easily).
- It has 626 blog posts (including this one) which does not include a bunch of PTTBT posts that I wanted to recover (but can't, yet) — but 626 is a favourite number of mine, so I'm not complaining.
- It is entirely static, except where dynamic content is needed. It's running on Digital Ocean's spaces apps, which are quite zippy and fun.
- Unfortunately, I just discovered some of my dynamic redirects do not work under such arrangements, so I will need to fix those up. If you find dead links, assume I am kinda sorta probably working on it.
- Getting REALLY techy, but the site is running TSX instead of JSX, because I realize I have a hard time not thinking in Typescript now. Sigh.
- This is also my "I am reluctantly addicted to Tailwind" build. I have kept a Tailwind mirror version of my site for quite some time, always refusing to push it live for fear that it will mark me as a convert, but dammit I can't resist it anymore. Stupid utility classes.
- There are a few more surprises to be unlocked soon, but not quite yet, so be patient.
And for the sake of completeness, here are two screenshots of how it looks on May 3, 2021:
Stay tuned for my next big update, probably coming in about 14 days when I get bored of this one.